Corvette: Year by Year1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988
1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
June / July 2012
All this time I had noticed that the speedometer seemed to be reading low. While driving with minimal traffic on the freeway at about the same speed as the other cars, the speedometer would read about 60 mph. It occurred to me that if the speedometer (and therefore the odometer) was low, my mpg reading might be similarly off.
iPhone to the Rescue!
I then tried the Speedometer app in the Corvette and was amazed to learn that while driving 70 mph, the speedometer indicated 58 mph!
The Odometer app reported a similar result. A trip of 113.88 miles was only 94 miles according to the odometer on Safari.
Some quick math revealed that adding 21% to either the speedometer or odometer reading would give me an accurate reading. This meant that instead of 12 mpg, I was actually getting around 14.5 mpg, about what I would expect from a small block equipped 1968 Corvette. BTW, I've updated the Show Me the Money page to indicate the true mpg.
I am thinking about having the speedometer recalibrated. The problem there is to keep everything consistent, I would have to update the entries I have so far in the mpg tracking database. We'll see.
Spare Tire Report
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from further commenting.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.