Corvette: Year by Year1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988
1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
1956 Chevrolet Corvette:
New Styling and a Future Classic
More importantly, its destiny as Americas premier competitive sports car would take shape.
Many of the problems that plagued the 1953-55 models were addressed. The new design featured outside door handles, roll-up windows and a factory sourced hardtop was available. Power windows and a power top were options. The interior remained the same.
Chevrolet went racing with the latest Corvette and was rewarded with excellent success. It started in January 1956 when John Fitch set a production car record of 145 MPH at Daytona Speed Week. He then drove a stock 1956 Corvette at the NASCAR speed week Flying Mile event in Daytona, setting a speed record of 145.543 mph.
New suspension revisions by Zora Arkos-Duntov gave Chevrolet the confidence to enter four Corvettes in the Florida International 12-Hour Grand Prix of Endurance, at Sebring, Florida. One car, entered in the C/Modified class finished first in its class and ninth overall. A car entered in B/Production finishes sixth in class / 15th overall. Another retired after only 20 minutes with a broken axle shaft. The fourth car, also entered in B/Production, blew its engine one hour and 20 minutes into the race.
1956 Corvette Options, Prices
|102||AM Radio, Signal Seeking||2,717 (78.37%)||$198.90|
|107||Parking Brake Alarm||2,685 (77.44%)||$5.40|
|108||Courtesy Lights||2,775 (80.04%)||$8.65|
|109||Windshield Washers||2,815 (81.19%)||$11.85|
|290||Whitewall Tires, 6.70x15||n/a||$32.30|
|313||Powerglide Automatic Transmission||n/a||$188.50|
|419||Auxiliary Hardtop||2,076 (59.88%)||$215.20|
|426||Power Windows||547 (15.78%)||$64.60|
|440||Two-Tone Paint Combination||1,259 (36.31%)||$19.40|
|449||Special High-Lift Camshaft||111 (3.20%)||$188.30|
|469||265ci, 225hp Engine (2 4 bbl. carburetors)||3,080 (88.84%)||$172.20|
|471||Rear Axle, 3.27:1 ratio||n/a||n/a|
|473||Power Operated Folding Top||2,682 (77.36%)||$107.60|
Notes: Base Corvette with 265 cu. in. engine and three speed manual transmission: $3,120.00
|Onyx Black||810 (23.36%)||Red||Black / White||Black|
|Aztec Copper||402 (11.60%)||Beige||Beige / White||Copper|
|Cascade Green||290 (8.36%)||Beige||Beige / White||Green|
|Arctic Blue||390 (11.25%)||Beige / Red||Beige / White||Blue|
|Venetian Red||1,040 (30.00%)||Red||Beige / White||Red|
|Polo White||532 (15.34%)||Red||Black / White||Red|
Notes: Interior quantities: Beige: 887; Red: 2,580.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from further commenting.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.