Corvette: Year by Year1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988
1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
2011 Corvette Z06
Up Close and Personal
- Steering has good - just short of excellent - feel with no slop or free play.
- With the introduction of the C5, the reviews added the term "refined". We can also say that the 2011 Corvette Z06 has "balance", meaning that all the important areas of a great sports car: handling, power, stopping along with the right sounds exist in equal amounts such that one factor does not crowd out the others.
- Hard cornering, be it a high speed sweeper or tight quick chicane, are accomplished easily with no drama.
- Comfort is there and you get the feeling that you could not only street drive the Z06 Corvette all day long, you could also track drive a full shift and not feel beaten up or stressed. Visibility, a problem for many exotics, is great with the 'vette.
- And the sound; it's a tough decision, the high pitched wail of a 12 cylinder or that wonderful rumble of the LS7 at idle and ground pounding 6,000 RPM.
- Shifting of the manual six speed, which saw a substantial improvement with the introduction of the C6 and has since benefited from incremental upgrades, is just about perfect. The fact that the shift mechanism and the transmission are one unit as opposed to being separated by two feet is a clear advantage. Clutch action is excellent with just the right amount of effort required.
Magnetic Ride Control
2011 Corvette Click here for 2011 Corvette slideshow
Middle: A manual is and has been the only transmission available on a Z06; this includes the original four speed 1963 cars and the six speed Z06s manufactured starting in 2001. An automatic transmission or a paddle shift configuration is not available.
A minor quibble
The seats, especially if you intend to pursue the Z06's race track destiny, do need improvement. They are comfortable for sure, and can accomodate a wide range of body shapes. But they are lacking in lateral support and they do not keep the driver in a solid position during hard cornering. This is easily improved courtesy of a number of aftermarket suppliers. Still making that choice via the official options list as opposed to forcing owners to fend for themselves would go a long way towards improving the Corvette Z06's track credibility. Cadillac CTS-V Coupe buyers can specify Recaro Performance Seats for an extra $3400; surely Corvette owners should have the same opportunity.
|2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, as tested|
|Standard Vehicle Price:||$74,305.00|
|3LZ Premium Equipment Group:||$7,170.00|
|Z06 Ultimate Performance Package:||$9,495.00|
|Z06 Carbon Fiber Package:||$3,995.00|
|Supersonic Blue Metallic paint||$300.00|
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.