Corvette: Year by Year1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988
1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
2016 Corvette C7:
Eight Speed Automatic, Curb Cameras
Eight Speeds, No Waiting
So how does the Eight Speed Automatic fare? To be honest, your author is an unabashed, proud and die hard manual transmission fanboy. All of the cars I have ever bought, including the three I own now, have manual transmissions. And given the choice, a Corvette purchase would continue that tradition.
That said, the Hydra-Matic Eight Speed RWD Automatic Transaxle offered in the 2016 Corvette is an amazing unit. Shifts, which are about 500 RPM apart, are smooth; unless you are paying attention you barely know they are occurring. Automatic equipped Corvettes are also quicker due to the many technological improvements. They shift faster than even the best manual transmission drivers and in the Corvette world, faster is better. Maybe there is a reason why 63% of the 2014 Corvettes were automatic?
For those who insist on having it both ways, it is pointed out that there is a manual transmission mode via the paddle shifters. That's true, but after using them for a while our reaction was "why bother" and we just left the shifter in automatic mode.
Curb View Cameras
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from further commenting.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.