Corvette: Year by Year1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964
1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988
1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000
2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
Some HistoryThe NCRS has an amazing program for its membership. Go to ncrs.org/services.php and you'll see the "Shipping Data Report Service". For $40.00, and your VIN, they will send you a report listing the dealer code, dealer name, dealer address and the date the car was produced. The info is available for 1962 through 1975 Corvettes. Message board postings on the subject indicate that there are some gaps in the information, so the info is not available for all Corvettes. It's a valuable service that can give owners a starting point when researching the origin of their Corvette.
I am wondering, for example, if I were to visit the Omaha NE library, if they might have microfiche copies of newspapers from the time that might have an ad for Safari?
Translating the VIN Code
194678S426860Interpreting the VIN for Safari (above) works out to be:
- First Digit = 1 > Corresponds to the GM division that produced the car. 1 translates to Chevrolet.
- Second and Third Digits = 94 > Identifies the model. 94 translates to Corvette.
- Fourth and Fifth Digits = 67 > Identifies the body style. 67 translates to Two Door Convertible, 37 would translate to Two Door Sport Coupe.
- Sixth Digit = 8 > Identifies the model year. 8 translates to 1968.
- Seventh Digit = S > Identifies the assembly plant. "S" translates to St. Louis MO.
- Last Six Digits = 426860 > Sequential production number. The starting number is 400001, so Safari is the 26,860th Corvette built in the 1968 model year. Since there were 28,566 1968 Chevrolet Corvettes built, some simple subtraction tells me that 1,706 Corvettes were built after Safari. This places it as a fairly late production build.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.